Sunday 20 May 2012

Clutch Cables Forum - may pertain later

 



Reply with quote
Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:28 pm
Hi everyone, so the first few weeks of owning this little beast have been amazing but not trouble free.

First a broken cable for downshifts from 4-3-2-1 so I was stuck in 4th gear, thankfully very close to home. Took it to the shop and since I negotiated a 6 month warranty they fixed it.

Second my front brake was almost non-existent and every time I shifted into first gear the horn gave it a little "beeep". Highly embarassing but OK The shop fixed the two issues as well.

Third, last night while riding I noticed it was hard to shift through gears so I called the shop and they told me to adjust the clutch cable by the engine but when I looked at the cable by the handle I realized that I am on my last two threads.

I will take it back to the shop so that they replace the cable but I'm worried that it will happen again. It's puzzling because I never had an issue with the clutch cable on my 1978 P125X. Is this a common issue and is there a permanent cure?

Thanks and I love reading this forum!

Reply with quote
Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:49 pm
if your cable is wearing up by the lever it is either that is has no lube or never been lubed, and or the adjuster has a burr it it and is wear/cutting the cable. ensure the cable is not run to create over binding it should have enough to be flexible from the lever down the the body. no tension. when you get the new cable a little squirt once a month of some white silicone grease at the barrell going into the lever should help for premature wear.


Reply with quote
Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:21 pm
Hi Mate, It not a common issue Could be crap cables or your adjustment is way to tight at the adjustment screw? This happens when not enough tension is taken from the clutch arm nipple (Your first step of installing a clutch cable).

When you replace your cable make sure to grease the whole cable with white lithium grease (Panef) Or better.

Make sure you a getting good cables too there is a lot of shite on the market. Your clutch cable should have a fat nipple or nipple insert on it. Keep away from crap cables. I have been using bicycle cables for clutch, gears for years.

*Be sure it's routed correctly (Nipple sitting flush in your lever) Also check for the two wave washers that fit either side of your lever.

If you are in the US or Canada i can call you and talk you through it 10 mins or less and done

Cheers
Reply with quote
Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Replace both the inner and outer cable.

Unlike the throttle and shift cables (they have a separate nipple that the outer cable's metal bushing fits into), the clutch is comprised only of the outer's metal bushing that presses against the metal in the headset.

Eventually that bushing compresses (especially if the clutch adjustment is too tight) and will start to split. That will rub the inner cable and cause it to fail prematurely.

HTHs

\osc

No comments:

Post a Comment